Friday 24 April 2015

The River of Stars


I lived beside a river of stars.
One day I saw a bird
fly into the water
and thought him dead. 

Then: a knock 
at the door, a place 
by the fire, three days 
without a word.

I fed him porridge oats 
and pumpkin seeds.
He sat by the window, 
looked up at clouds

with his black eyes.
Where are you from?
What can I give you?
No reply.

On the third night he set 
the moon in my hands,
wrapped in a tea-towel 
like a porcelain plate.

He opened his wings
and flew into the sky.
In dreams I followed him
along the blue road.

The stars lit my way,
shone with a gentle light.
I did not feel the cold.
And with me, the moon.




From NaPoWriMo: Today, I challenge you to take a chance, literally. Find a deck of cards (regular playing cards, tarot cards, uno cards, cards from your “Cards Against Humanity” deck – whatever), shuffle it, and take a card – any card! Now, begin free-writing based on the card you’ve chosen. Keep going without stopping for five minutes. Then take what you’ve written and make a poem from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment